Colour explained: everything you need to know about white paint
The ultimate neutral, white is one of those colours that goes with everything. At Lick, we have a total of ten white paints making up our edit, each with their own unique character, warmth and style. Here’s how to get clued up on your undertones, learn what white best suits a north, east, south and west-facing room, and how to find your dream white for your space.
Let's talk undertones
Undertones are what will change up the temperature of a colour. At Lick, we use five for our whites, and you can expect them to do a little something like this to your room:
- Grey: in the paint industry adding grey is actually called adding a tone, so you can imagine the impact that it has on every colour. This undertone is going to make your room feel a bit more contemporary and a bit crisper (depending on how much you add);
- Yellow: get ready, things are about to get warm and cosy
- Blue: this will add some coolness and freshness
- Lilac: warmer than blue and cooler than green, lilac adds a lovely feminine touch
- Green: natural and soothing, green will add some warmth without it being too creamy
Colour compatibility and room direction
Here's what white paint we recommend for rooms with different directions...
North-facing rooms: warm and yellow white paint
North-facing rooms: northern light is the coolest of the lot. It casts a blue hue, so try to avoid cool whites like White 01 and white grey wall paint White 02 (you could just about get away with linen white paint, White 04) and look more to White 03 and White 05 paint whose creamy undertones will warm it up nicely. Or for a dose more depth, try taupe Greige 02 paint.
The best white paints for north-facing rooms
White 03 Matt
Soft creamy white with touch of yellow£42Shop White 03 Matt•2.5L
White 04 Matt
Soft linen white with grey undertones£42Shop White 04 Matt•2.5L
White 06 Matt
Chalk white with a touch of pink£42Shop White 06 Matt•2.5L
White 09 Matt
Delicate white with a drop of lavender£42Shop White 09 Matt•2.5L
White 11 Matt
Warm white with a touch of green£42Shop White 11 Matt•2.5L
East-facing rooms: pure and chalky white paint
East-facing rooms: you’ll see a lot of change in them. Whatever white you choose will look very different whether it’s sunset or sunrise. But easterly spaces have a tendency to look a bit bluer, so undertones of blue, green and violet are a good shout on the whole. Take our chalky White 06 paint with its touch of pink, or translate that tone talk to our white palette, and we’d suggest the coolest white of them all – White 01.